Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find a list of complete and very practical answers. Don’t forget, our experts are best placed to answer your questions.
Am I able to have driving lessons in my own/family or friends car?
Under certain circumstances, customers may want to receive lessons in their own/family vehicle. This is a good idea where the car will be used for a Driver’s Test. It is also a good idea when a learner has a new car and wishes to familiarise themselves with it prior to licensing. Learn 2 Drive Cars Driving School is able to offer pupils training in their vehicle, provided the vehicle is has an up to date MOT, roadworthy and has has road tax and insurance which covers an ADI. Prior to any training being conducted in the customer’s vehicle, the instructor should inspect the vehicle for its roadworthiness. The inspection should include, but is not limited to, a check of the following items;
  • MOT, Tax & Insurance
  • The insurance company is notified that it will be used by a driving instructor to conduct training in
  • The tyres:
    • are correctly inflated (air pressures must reflect the manufacturer’s recommendation as a minimum).
    • have appropriate levels of tread
    • are not damaged
  • all indicators, headlights and brake lights are working
  • seats and seat belts are in good working order and are not damaged or twisted
  • any loose items in the cabin of the vehicle are stowed in the cargo (boot) area
  • the windows and interior are clean
  • the vehicle has sufficient petrol to last the course of the lesson (minimum requirement – a quarter of a tank)
Do you do Automatic Driving Lessons?
No. Unfortunately we only conduct manual driving lessons at the moment.
How do I book my driving test?
When you are ready, your Safe Drive Instructor will help you arrange your test. It is advised that you don't book the test before you are ready as this could impact your learning and prolong you getting your driving licence.
How many lessons does it take to learn to drive?
This depends on the individual, as every student has different abilities, needs, levels of experience and different opportunities to practice. Be aware of anyone who “quotes” a number of lessons over the phone as it is impossible, without first assessing your current skill levels. Once one of our Driving Instructors have assessed your current skill level, ability and have ascertained how much practice you can obtain between lessons, we will be able to provide you with an accurate estimate.

Please keep in mind that you can never have too many lessons as the more professional training you have then the safer you will become prior to going independent. According to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), on average, it takes around 45 hours of professional driving lessons to learn to drive, with an addition of 22 hours of private practising.

How many driving lessons a week should I take?
For best results it's best to have at least a 2 hour driving lesson each week, however if you cannot afford a 2 hour lesson each week it may be best to have a 2 hour lesson every 2 weeks. This is more effective than having a 1 hour lesson every week! The more lessons you have the quicker you are going to learn. Pupils who want to pass their test quickly normally take an intensive driving course. An intensive course is where you have many lessons over a short period of time. If you are thinking of taking an intensive course it is best have have passed your theory test and book a practical test for the end of your course. However intensive courses are not for everyone as they the costs are high as you have all your lessons within a few weeks. Although the initial outlay of an intensive driving course is high in the long run it could work out cheaper than taking weekly/fortnightly lessons.
Can you teach yourself driving?
No not unless you do this on private property and have permission from the landowner. You can however learn to drive with a friend or family member as long as they have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 3 years and are over the are of 21. You will need to make sure that you have a provisional driving licence, you are insured to drive the car, the car is taxed and has a current MOT.